Dump/Restore for system migration

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Mon Jan 19 18:50:29 UTC 2015

I have used dump/restore for system migration a couple of time and noticed
it is pretty good, but every once in a while it will miss or corrupt a
file.  Is there a better way to do this?  I would imagine having a system
mounted r/o would help, but this is not always possible.  Is there a way to
check the deltas between systems manually after migration to see if any
files need to be merged or copied.  I would imagine the files that are in
jeopardy are ones that are being written to while the dump is taking
place.  I had a file the keeps track of rss feeds end up missing on the
target system.

Any advice here?

Thanks,
Chris