Acer Aspire AXC-603-UB17

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 21:34:31 UTC 2015

On 01/17/2015 02:21 PM, Chris Maness wrote:
> Yea, I am not sure what would happen at that point.  If I could get it to
> boot anything, I would just write zeros to the hard drive.  I am irritated,
> and just want to take it back.  However, it seems that most of the mom and
> pop computer stores have gone away.  I guess I have to make a special trip
> to fry's and waste a lot of money.  Too bad I have to get this done this
> weekend or I would just by something online.
>
> Regards,
> Chris
>
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 13:00:37 -0800
>> Chris Maness <chris at chrismaness.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Moreover, after going through the setup, Windows seemed to have hijacked
>>> the whole boot process, and I can't even get into the BIOS.  What is the
>>> deal?  Does M$ have some kind of deal with Acer to make it impossible to
>>> install another OS?  I have never purchased a computer with the OS
>> already
>>> on it.  I have always built my own PC's, but for $209 I figured it
>> couldn't
>>> be beat.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else had a similar experience with ultra cheapie Windows
>> boxes?
>>
>> It might be interesting to see if you can get into the BIOS after
>> disconnecting the hard drive.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Clarke

Sorry if you have already tried this, but

have you done this:

power on and press F2 button.

If that gives you the BIOS menu, then from there you should be able to
find a tab for boot order and change it so that the internal HD is
possibly the
3rd in the list rather than the first.
Be sure that cd drive and (if listed  in the list), external USB drive, are
first and second, according to your preference.
Let the list know the results.