Mount NTFS from base system?

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu Jan 15 16:01:51 UTC 2015

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 554, Issue 3, Message: 6
On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:44:45 +0000 "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

 > Is there anything in FreeBSD base system to mount an NTFS partition
 > read-only?
 >
 > I thought it was there, but couldn't find anything, searched for
 > "ntfs" under "man mount".
 >
 > Or is it necessary to build sysutils/fusefs-ntfs from ports even for
 > read-only access?
 >
 > There actually is /sbin/mount_ntfs in NetBSD, at least newer
 > versions, good for reading, not so good for writing, and I thought
 > there was something in FreeBSD like that.
 >
 > I looked in the kernel configs, including GENERIC and NOTES, found no
 > NTFS.

I guess you're running 10.x then.  I see it was gone by 10.0-R.

It's still in 9.3 and so is the (very similar, by the same author) HPFS
code, though you have to compile that yourself if needed, which was the
case even back at 3.3-R as I recall.  I managed to recover years of work
from several OS/2 disks with it then; perfectly reliable as read-only.

If just for recovery, you could boot a 9.3 memstick.  Otherwise, FUSE.

cheers, Ian