Switching from custom kernel back to generic

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Thu Jan 15 09:34:29 UTC 2015

I believe I will be able to get rid of using quotas here in the near future.  That would enable me to use generic kernels all around.  However, I ran into an issue when updating 9.3.  I used freebsd-update to bring everything up to speed.  Then I went ahead and built the custom kernel and rebuilt world.  However, I just installed the generic kernel freebsd-update gave me.  The generic kernel kldstat showed the kernel and fdescfs.ko.  However, pf.ko and pflog.ko would not load.  It said it couldn’t find them.  Running ktrace on service pf start shows it was looking for /boot/kernel/pf.ko and getting file not found.  A ls -l /boot/kernel/pf.ko shows the file is there with the right owner and permissions.  I tried manually loading other modules and get the same error.  All the modules are there in the right place.  I ended up installing the custom kernel and world and everything now works again.

Is there some magic that is needed to switch from a custom kernel to generic?  Why would the kernel not find the modules when ls can?