[SOLVED] Re: ZFS replacing drive issues

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Sun Jan 11 10:24:33 UTC 2015

On 01/10/15 05:18, Henrik Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jan 2015, Da Rock wrote:

>>> Someone posted a similar problem a few weeks ago; rebooting fixed it
>>> for them (as opposed to trying to get zfs to fix itself w/ management
>>> commands), might try that if feasible .... $0.02, no more,l no less ....
>>>
>> Sorry, that didn't work unfortunately. I had to wait a bit until I could
>> do it between it trying to resilver and workload. It came online at
>> first, but then went back to removed when I checked again later.
>>
>> Any other diags I can do? I've already run smartctl on all the drives
>> (5hrs+) and they've come back clean. There's not much to go on in the
>> logs either. Do a small number of drives just naturally error when
>> placed in a raid or something?
> a) try a 'zpool clear' to perhaps force it to clear errors, but to
> be safe I'd still do "c" below.
>
> b) Did you physically remove the old drive and replace it and then
> run a zpool replace? Did the devices have the same device ID or did
> you use GPT ids?
>
> c) If it's a mirror try just removing the device, zpool remove pool
> device and then re-attaching it via zpool attach.
>
> henrik

Thanks for that info, I'll try it next time.

Meanwhile, I had to spend more than a few hours (about 2 days actually -
each test takes 5+ hours, and it had some hissy fits; some of which
occurred at about 90% completion, the little #$%!) going through the
drives and running tests using smartctl and the vendors tools. Turns out
I had a DOA, but with a twist: using smartctl the test would run on
other drives, maybe up to 50%, and then stop and say the test failed. On
the DOA it would pass.

I then turned to the vendor tools, and ran through each drive (I had 8
to test amongst my lot as I got more than a bit curious/suspicious about
what was happening overall). I tried testing all in one machine and they
all interfered with one another, so I needed to test individually and
try and save the result ( a tricky one given the ridiculous tools
supplied (I know a good trade never blames his tools, but take windows
for eg... :) ). Once that was all sorted (24 hours work later), I found
the DOA drive for my raid would pass a simple test, go through maybe 50%
of the longer test, and then come up with a failed test - but with
absolutely no error code (one is expected).

So it was a bit of an odd duck. As a general rule I find the vendor
rather good and support is second to none, but the drives aren't exactly
top dollar either so I have no complaints - but this did send me into a
bit of a spin. At least the experience has been enlightening :)

For reference, smartctl and such aren't taken seriously by vendors. They
will accept if smart has been tripped (failed health test), but other
than that you need to use their tools for diags. Maybe not news to some,
but there's a lot of fluff out there that says otherwise.

Thanks again for the pointers guys!