Gnome2 -> Gnome3 - no way

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Thu Jan 8 14:03:25 UTC 2015

On 08/01/2015 13:58, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

>>> Regarding keyboard layout (a thing I hardly change
>>> during use) I prefer to either use xorg.conf to
>>> set it globally, or .xmodmap on a per-user basis
>>> (especially useful for programmable keyboards).
>>>
>>> By the way, does Mate still require HAL as a
>>> dependency?
>> Both approaches do not work as mate keyboard takes over and changes
>> the layout
>> regardless of what you set in xorg.conf, but Mate keyboard "forgets"
>> to set
>> the layout to what the user has configured. I need some time to debug it
>> though work allowing.
>>
>> Not that I am aware of: HAL is a depedancy of Xorg, not MATE.
>> According to the
>> docs, and what I have checked, the "current" version of Xorg in pkg is
>> not built
>> with hal support, so it's not needed.
>>

>> - -- Sincerely,
>>
>> William Brown

[noise cut]

> What versions of xorg-server & FreeBSD does that ('current' xorg pkg
> doesn't need HAL) refer to ? TIA & have a happy new year :-) ....

Look at /usr/ports/UPDATING and you'll find

20141219:
   AFFECTS: users of x11/xorg and all xorg ports
   AUTHOR: dumbbell at FreeBSD.org

   The X.Org server (x11-servers/xorg-server) is updated to 1.14. All
   ports which provide X.Org drivers must be updated simultaneously, i.e.
   x11-drivers/xf86-*, emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions, net/tigervnc,
   etc.

   The input device autodetection backend is switched from HAL to devd.
   If you configure your keyboard layout through HAL .fdi files, you need
   to migrate this configuration to plain X.Org configuration files.

   Up-to-date instructions and a description of the changes brought by
   this update are detailed in a blog post:

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/graphics/2014/11/19/xserver-1-14-update-ready/

--
Those who do not learn from computing history are doomed to
GOTO 1