Questions from a Linux refugee

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jan 7 13:23:25 UTC 2015

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 20:51:23 +0800, Ben Woods wrote:
> > "make missing | pkg install" to get the dependencies
>
> This command doesn't work for me with pkgng 1.4.4 (I don't think the pipe
> to pkg works):
>
> # make missing | pkg install
> Usage: pkg install [-AfInFMqRUy] [-r reponame] [-Cgix] <pkg-name> ...
> For more information see 'pkg help install'.

The command is pseudo-code, I should have mentioned
this explicitely. :-)

It should illustrate that "make missing" will list
the packages which are required as a dependency for
an installation, and then continue to install those.
After the dependencies are satisfied, "make install"
can be run. The approach shown should minimize the
amount of stuff that has to be built from source,
so that a port which doesn't have a package available
will try to build _only_ that port from source, not
the (often overwhelming) pile of dependencies.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany