TeTeX retirement instructions?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 5 18:53:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 05:01:25PM +0000, Morse, Richard E.,MGH wrote:
> Hi! According to the announcement back in 2013 regarding TeX:
>
> >   teTeX-based ports and TeXLive are mutually exclusive.  This means TeXLive
> >   ports cannot be installed when teTeX is already installed.  You need
> >   to remove all of the TeX-related packages based on teTeX to try TeXLive.
> >   Migration procedure will be announced when conversion of the port
> >   dependency is completed.
>
> The only "migration procedure" that I was later able to find was an announcement on 2014-07-23:
>
> >   TeXLive is now the default teX provider.
> >   Please remove all TeX-related packages based on teTeX.
>
> I'm not sure this actually counts as a "migration procedure". How did other people make the transition?
>
> I ask, because the recent upgrade of png will not proceed due to the outdated TeX ports (in particular, cm-super).

Since I've been using TeXLive from way before it was in ports, I just kept
the standard TeXLive distribution instead of using the one from ports. This is
kept completely separate (in /usr/local/texlive/...) from ports and doesn't
interfere with it.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)