FBSD 10.1 installation attempt on Proliant 150ML G6

Ian Fitzgerald ianf at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jan 5 10:18:13 UTC 2015

Hello recipients

I have performed countless installs over many years and most have been easy,
or my errors are soon discovered.

I acquired this solid piece of hardware, and, despite noticing some problems
encountered by other FBSD users with this marque, I took up the challenge,
using FreeBSD 10.1 (amd64).

At first I configured the native gigabit nic (bge), with and without PXE
enabled, then installed an Intel gigabit CT (em) card and tried configuring
that, with and without bge enabled.

Hardware probe finds both nics, and reports whichever is configured to be
active. DHCP times out for either, manual configuration (bsdinstall) appears
to work, but when the parameters are to be displayed from ?unbound, the
entries are blank, requiring re-entry of the values including gateway.
Ifconfig reports active configured nic, with the manually entered ip
address.

Of course ping reports host down for any other hosts on the private network.

I am unsure whether this is an old HP problem, whether the board is
defective, or whether something malign has been introduced in 10.1. I am
loathe to invest in a support contract, especially when the docs for the
latest cumulative ROM upgrade contain no mention of nic fixes. Any
suggestions?

Ian Fitzgerald.