Can't get KDE up.

Gene fbsd at brightstar.bomgardner.net
Thu Jan 1 16:10:03 UTC 2015

Hi -
I'm running FBSD 10.0, Xorg 7.7_1, and kde 4.14.2.
Contents of ~/.xinitrc:  exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde

on "startx" the usual text scrolls by (too fast to read) as usual, screen
blanks, and then video drops out and my screen goes to standby. FBSD is still
alive (I can ssh in).

Gnome worked fine (at least until I upgraded all the packages in an attempt
to fix the problem).

KDM will bring up a login screen, but logging in produces a single term
window on a blank desktop.

Xorg.0.log is rather long so I posted it online. Its at:

http://brightstar.ath.cx/xorglog.txt

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks.