sendmail && dhcp

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Feb 27 13:02:02 UTC 2015

El día Thursday, February 26, 2015 a las 07:37:59PM -0800, Perry Hutchison escribió:

> Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> > Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> writes:
> > > I fetch my mails from my ISP with fetchmail and pipe them
> > > through sendmail and procmail (for filtering); and I send
> > > upstream with SMPT && SSL to my ISP using sendmail ... it is
> > > so nice to connect a few seconds(!) to fetch all your mails,
> > > shutdown the link, read and answer the mails offline, queue
> > > answers with sendmail, and re-open the link for a few seconds
> > > to send the mails out.
> >
> > You don't need a sendmail daemon for that.
>
> There's no need to involve sendmail at all (on the receive side)
> for that.  Depending on the MUA the OP might need one for sending --
> some MUAs only support sending via SMTP, not by fork/exec sendmail.
>
> > Tell fetchmail to invoke sendmail itself instead of delivering
> > to a local TCP port
>
> AFAIK there is no need for one MTA (fetchmail) to invoke another
> MTA (sendmail) just to get to a third mail agent[*] (procmail).
> Have fetchmail invoke procmail directly.
>
> [*] I don't remember offhand whether procmail is considered an MTA
>     or an LDA, and for this analysis it doesn't matter.

To read and write I'm using mutt as MUA. mutt can fetch with IMAP(S) and
send with SMTP+SSL; but this (sending directly) is not what I want, I
want to queue up the outbound mails and send them at once (see above for
the reason); so, sendmail is the natural option;

for the PPP link, I already use a devd(8) hook to restart sendmail when
the interface comes up; for the wlan(4) link I will use the hook
/etc/dhclient-exit-hooks looking for the $reason BOUND;

I was hoping for a solution which combines all interfaces in one place,
but it seems that this does not exist.

Thanks

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-170-4527211
La referencia de la Duma a la anexión de la RDA, en este caso al contrario con la Crimlía sin