Using dotmatrix printer with (or without) CUPS for graphics printing

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Feb 24 15:05:14 UTC 2015

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 08:31:30 -0600, Andrew Gould wrote:
> Are PPD files cross-platform?  If so, you could try adding the PPD file
> manually during printer configuration.  The related openprinting page for
> your printer is here:
>
> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-LQ-570plus

Many thanks! This actually is the _first_ time something related
to CUPS works on the first try as expected! :-)

I had to "guess" the device URI. For further reference, the following
settings resulted in success:

Driver:		Epson LQ-570+ Foomatic/epson (recommended)
		(grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Connection:	parallel:/dev/lpt0
Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm sides=one-sided

I haven't tried printing from Gimp, because that forces me to
configure a _new_ printer, and the "Epson" category doesn't
list old dotmatrix printers anymore. So printing to a file
(PS) and then printing them via "lpr -PEpson_LQ_570+ file.ps"
works perfectly; printing also works from xpdf or gv, so all
I need is there.

Again, thanks for your advice!

--
Polytropon