why would I get a segmentation fault on one system but not the other?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 23 02:03:21 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 06:35:46PM -0700, jd1008 wrote:

> On 02/22/2015 06:11 PM, David Benfell wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:14:33AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >

> >This all Greek to me. Perhaps a diff will help:
> >
> Well, I see this fundamental difference:
>

> <Features2=0x7ffafbff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,<b11>,FMA,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
>
> >Features2=0x7fdafbbf<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,
> ,EST,TM2,SSSE3,<b11>,FMA,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,
> ,MOVBE,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
>
> The 2nd line is lacking cpu features SMX and x2APIC
> I have not dabbled in compilers for many years, but one OP already mentioned
> the possibility of differences in AMD 64 architecture instruction generation
> by the C compiler.

 If they are the same as on linux, SMX is the same as TPM (Trusted
Platform Module), i.e. a crypto processor, and x2APIC is the newest
programmable interrupt controller - both explained on wikipedia.

 Neither appear to be related to the minor sse3 variations which
gave me problems on linux, so I think I took the thread off at a
tangent.

ĸen