why would I get a segmentation fault on one system but not the other?

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sun Feb 22 20:23:05 UTC 2015

On February 22, 2015 7:48:30 AM PST, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>On Sun, February 22, 2015 4:44 am, David Benfell wrote:
>mean
>>>
>>> STABLE means that the API/ABI is stable. Unlike HEAD (CURRENT),
>>> STABLE still is actually _stable_ in most cases, so it's a valid
>>> solution for production systems (given that you're prepared well,
>>> and you know what you're doing). I'm running STABLE on few
>>> production machines myself (where this is needed), but I usually
>>> prefer (and often recommend) using RELEASE and add the security
>>> patches when they are available.
>>>
>> Thinking about this more, I'm inclined to think my problem is not
>with
>> the base system. I haven't seen *any* crashes with stuff that can be
>> clearly identified as being in the base system, let alone the kernel.
>>
>> My memory test has just completed a 4th pass with zero errors. It's
>> now been running for 7.5 hours.
>>

>How long does the box run before segfault? Some memory errors may
>happen
>with smaller probability, then short memtest may be OK, not detecting
>memory errors happening less often.
>
>What is the load of machine when segfault happens? During memtest86 the
>load is "zero". During actual server run, you may be heating the
>interior
>of the box to higher temperatures, namely memory controller to higher
>temperatures, which increases chance of malfunction.
>
>Do you have ECC memory or non-ECC? If non-ECC can you replace it with
>ECC?
>(some memory controllers accept both). Is it possible that you have
>mixture of different types of RAM attached to the same memory
>controller
>(I've seen even different brands claiming the same specs did cause
>occasional malfunctions). Also, which slots do you use for RAM? If not
>all
>slots have RAM, start filling the slots that are farther away from
>memory
>controller (which is on CPU substrate these days, hence from CPU). If
>you
>leave fartherst slots open you will have open (not terminated) portion
>of
>transmission line causing reflections interfering with signal, leading
>trouble. Some fancy system boards do have memory bus terminators so
>what I
>said about slots deasn't matter for them, but majority of boards do
>not.
>If the hardware is a suspect, I would begin with minimal amount of
>known
>good RAM.
>
>Swapping RAM between good and bad machines is another thing to try. I
>however, would try instead to swap hard drives, and see which of
>machines
>will start failing after that. This way you will know for sure if
>software
>(+ hard drive) is to blame (if different machine starts failing) or
> [...]

Sorry for the top post; I'm on my phone now. A photo of the memtest from just before I shut it down is here: https://parts-unknown.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/0222150941.jpg Hopefully it will answer some of the questions you pose.

The segfaults occur at start-up and consistently thereafter but only, so far as I know, with apache and php-fpm. I have not seen segfaults anywhere else on this system. It is plausible that apache is simply reporting segfaults from php. This is why I think something nefarious is happening within the ports.

Your other suggestions will have to wait until I get back on site.

Thanks
- --