Graphical Linux app on FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Feb 20 03:57:56 UTC 2015

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:52:47 +0200, Toomas Aas wrote:
> I am trying to run a Linux binary on my FreeBSD system using the Linux
> compatibility layer. This is a GUI application. I tried to run it as
> regular user and as root, but each time I encounter different error
> message:
>
> $ ./the_linux_binary
> XOpenIM() failed
> Abort (core dumped)

Try to run "truss <programname>" to get more details.
Maybe this program needs Linux procfs? In that case,
add the required line to /etc/fstab. If the program
also needs additional Linux libraries, you'd have to
install them to /compat/linux.

Note that if you've installed the program from the
ports collection, those tasks should have been performed
automatically. If that's some "3rd party stuff", you
need to fulfill the requirements manually.

> $ su
> Password:
> root at mypc:/home/toomas/tmp # ./the_linux_binary
> No protocol specified
> Can't open display: :0.0

That's normal. You have to set $DISPLAY if a program
run by root should be able to access the X server, for
example "setenv DISPLAY :0.0" should be sufficient.
But running something as root usually doesn't help
here. :-)

> Is there any hope to get such application running?

What kind of application is that? Can you be specific?

> Relevant system info follows.
>
> $ grep COMPAT MYKERNEL
> options         COMPAT_LINUX32
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD mypc.lan 9.3-STABLE FreeBSD 9.3-STABLE #0 r278030: Sun Feb  1
> 21:19:50 EET 2015     toomas at mypc.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL
> amd64
> [...]
> $ file the_linux_binary
> the_linux_binary: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
> (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped

You're running a 64 bit kernel. Is there a known problem
for running Linux binaries of 32 bit in that constellation?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany