How to turn off X11 when booting PCBSD?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Feb 19 07:58:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 00:33:08 -0700, reg at dwf.com wrote:
> I have finally (thanks all that responded to my previous question)
> been able to compile the current nvidia-driver-304 for my PCBSD
> machine with a Nvidia 6200 video card, but now need to be able
> to turn OFF X11 on boot to install this driver in place of the
> existing one.
>
> Ive tried a couple of the things I found with google on the web,
> but none worked.
>
> So, how do I bring up PCBSD without the X11?

For the task of installing the driver, going into SUM should
be sufficient. Note that I haven't tested it.

Get to the "boot" prompt and enter "boot -s". The system
will then prompt for the shell. Confirm /bin/sh and then
run "fsck" to check the partitions, then "mount -a" to
mount them. Now "cd /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver" and
"make install". Edit /boot/if required:

	drm_load="YES"
	nvidia_load="YES"

should be added, if I remember correctly. Finally reboot.

Note that you can run "csh" as a shell, too, but as
you're not going to spend hours of work in (the limited)
single user mode, doing those few things should be easy
with all the defaults.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany