How to adjust clock frequency in FreeBSD 10.1 ?

Rick Thomas rbthomas at pobox.com
Sun Feb 15 09:27:16 UTC 2015

On Feb 14, 2015, at 4:50 AM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there some other way to set the frequency?
>>

> Sure, but I thought keeping accurate time was the goal?

Indeed.  And the machine is capable of doing that except for the problem that the actual frequency is different from the frequency that the kernel is assuming.

Based on my experience with this machine using Linux, the actual frequency is quite stable — certainly within the capability of ntp to stabilize and maintain offsets of 10ms or less for extended periods.  But for some reason the actual frequency is about a percent or two off from the frequency that the kernel wants to use.   Under Linux, I can tune that with adjtimex(8) setting TICK to an appropriate value.  My quest is to find out how to accomplish the same under FreeBSD.

Your answer implies that there is a way to tune the frequency, but I haven’t found it yet.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Rick