Is pkg silently ignoring failures?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Sat Feb 14 23:31:29 UTC 2015

Hello,

So today I ran a pkg install which included nspluginwrapper.  Apparently
I should have first run kldload linux before running pkg install
nspluginwrapper, but I didn't.

I happened to be capturing the output of the session under script(1),
but the only reason I knew anything was amiss was that I happened to
glance at the screen at the right time.  I got errors like:

[132/681] Installing linux_base-c6-6.6_3...
sysctl: unknown oid 'compat.linux.osrelease': No such file or directory
linuxulator is not (kld)loaded, exiting
pkg: PRE-INSTALL script failed

Extracting linux_base-c6-6.6_3: 100%

+++ Some programs may need linprocfs, please add it to /etc/fstab! +++

Running linux ldconfig...
ELF binary type "3" not known.
/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig: Exec format error

Extracting linux-c6-expat-2.0.1_1: 100%
ELF binary type "3" not known.
/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig: Exec format error
pkg: POST-INSTALL script failed

and so forth.  So all these pre-install and post-install scripts are
failing.  I assume this means the package isn't properly installed or
configured.  But:

# pkg install linux_base-c6
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The most recent version of packages are already installed

So my questions are:

1) Shouldn't pkg have given me some indication at the end that "packages
X, Y, and Z didn't install correctly"?

2) How do I figure out which packages were impacted (without painstaking
through the entire output of script)?

3) How do I fix it?

Thanks!

John