Clarifications on ACPI driver

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 13 20:13:38 UTC 2015

Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> On 02/04/15 21:50, Michael Powell wrote:
>> Andrea Venturoli wrote:
[snip]

>> This is only so for the 32-bit i386 build. You will not see this in the
>> 64- bit x86_64 build.
>
> Uh???
[snip]

>> # grep -i acpi sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
>> device          acpi
>> # grep -i acpi sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
>> device          acpi
>> options         ACPI_DMAR
>> #
>
> As you can see "device acpi" is present in both i386's and amd64's
> GENERIC.

I was wondering why on earth there was so much difference between what you
were reporting and what I was seeing. Turns out you are indeed completely
correct. I had originally cut-and-pasted the 'device          acpi' into the
Kate (GUI KDE editor) search feature "Find" and it returned nothing. Various
permutations don't work either, and using 'acpi' as the search term is the
only one that actually found these entries in the GENERIC .conf file(s).

When using CLI commands such as above it works as expected. This is some
form of regression in Kate - I have done things like this for such a long
time I expected it to still "Just Work", only now it does not. Some kind of
problem parsing the gap between the two words. Used to work; now it's
broken. Sigh...

-Mike