FreeBSD 10.1 Installation on Acer Aspire ES1 111M C56A with eMMC SSD

Wolfgang Kamradek wolfgang at kamradek.de
Mon Feb 9 21:28:09 UTC 2015

Hello,

I just bought a new Acer E11 111M C56A with 32GB eMMC disc. Unfortunately FreeBSD completely ignores this disc during the installation step to auto configure ZFS or UFS.
The eMMC Disc does not show up at all.

Some Details:
- x64 Installer boots fine in Legacy mode from external USB DVD.
- ZFS auto configure finds 0 disks
- UFS auto configure stops with the following error: "Partitioning error - An installation step has been aborted. Would you like to restart..."
- Manual Disk Setup also stops directly with the same error as UFS auto configure (partitioning error)

I thought that I could maybe manually add a missing driver with a shell or load a missing kernel module to be able to detect the device? User wblock at forums.freebsd gave me a hint that this eMMC device is maybe not supported by mmc(4).

On the other hand I learned from diverse websites that it's possible to boot FreeBSD from eMMC devices for the BeagleBone. Also Linux installation, I tried arch and mint so far, is not a problem. Unfortunately my FreeBSD skills are limited...

Any hints are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

\\'.