key Shift+Prior not working for scroll-up in xterm but in urxvt

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Feb 6 13:03:55 UTC 2015

El día Friday, February 06, 2015 a las 04:25:25AM -0500, Thomas Dickey escribió:

> > I run this 11C on a small netbook (Acer C720) which does not have physical
> > keys for PG_UP/DOWN; that's why I use xmodmap to define
> >
> > Mode_switch + UP --> Prior
> > Mdee_switch + Down --> Next
> >
> > xmodmap -e "keycode 98  =  Up   Up   Prior"
> > xmodmap -e "keycode 104 =  Down Down Next"
> >
> > When I now do in the terminal urxvt holding down both Mode_switch and
> > Shift, it scrolls fine with the Up and Down keys as expected: the
> > terminal window is scrolled up and down.
> >
> > When I do the same, the key is delivered to the xterm itself and I can
> > see them, for example, with 'od -c' as:
> >
> > $ od -c
> > ^[[5;2~^[[5;2~
> > ^[[6;2~^[[6;2~
> > 0000000  033   [   5   ;   2   ~ 033   [   5   ;   2   ~  \n 033   [   6
> > 0000020    ;   2   ~ 033   [   6   ;   2   ~  \n
> > 0000032
> >
> > The 033 [ 5 ; 2 ~ for Up and the 033 [ 6 ; 2 ~ for down.
> >
> > Why this does not work in xterm?
>
> That depends on what you want it to do (you did not say).

I think, I said what I want: that with Mode_switch+Shift+Up/Down it does
scrolling in xterm as it does in uRxvt.

I followed your hints an tried configurations in the file
~/.Xdefaults-hostname:

*VT100.translations: #override \
	Shift<Key>Up:		scroll-back(1,page) \n\
	Shift<Key>Down:		scroll-forw(1,page) \n\
	Shift<Key>F9: string("hola")

(the last line for F9 is only to see if the file works at all).

With the above config it now scrolls in xterm with Shift-Up/Down. But
I'm unable to configure that it scrolls with Mode_switch+Shift+Up/Down
and I want to have this to use the same key sequence in xterm and uRxvt
and not always have to think where I am.

Any idea? Thanks

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-170-4527211
La referencia de la Duma a la anexión de la RDA, en este caso al contrario con la Crimlía sin