salt and openntpd service?

Henrik Hudson lists at rhavenn.net
Thu Feb 5 20:27:11 UTC 2015

Trying to go around troubleshooting this... I'm working on setting
up salt for server management and it's having problems starting the
OpenNTPD port service. I used the same methods to get the OpenSMTPD
port working and it works fine.

I found a few threads in the saltstack github referring to salt
hanging when services don't return correctly / cleanly and that this
isn't a salt problem per se.

I'm just looking for some pointers in troubleshooting. Is it a
problem with the /etc/rc.subr script? The NTPD service itself?

Running salt in debug mode shows that the salt minion just loops for
ever. The service actually starts, but the salt master (debug
enabled) doesn't actually see it and logs nothing.

running: salt 'minion FQDN' state.highstate
hangs and never exits salt. The OpenNTPD service itself does start.

If I'm on the minion I can do:
salt-call cmd.run '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openntpd stop'
[INFO    ] Executing command '/sbin/zfs help || :' in directory '/root'
[INFO    ] Executing command '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openntpd stop' in directory '/root'
local:
    Stopping openntpd.
    Waiting for PIDS: 69922

This works.

salt-call cmd.run '/usr/local/sbin/ntpd'
[INFO    ] Executing command '/sbin/zfs help || :' in directory '/root'
[INFO    ] Executing command '/usr/local/sbin/ntpd' in directory '/root'
local:

This works and exits.

salt-call cmd.run '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openntpd start'
[INFO    ] Executing command '/sbin/zfs help || :' in directory '/root'
[INFO    ] Executing command '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openntpd start' in directory '/root'

This doesn't work.

So, a NTPD problem where it's not returning or a rc.subr problem? I
don't believe this is a salt problem.

henrik
--
Henrik Hudson