Removing useless info from daily mail

Markus Hästbacka midian at ihme.org
Wed Feb 4 20:11:33 UTC 2015

Hello!

The only thing I’ve done is put this in my periodic.conf:
daily_show_success=NO
daily_show_info=NO
daily_show_badconfig="NO"

weekly_show_success="NO"
weekly_show_info="NO"
weekly_show_badconfig="NO"

monthly_show_success="NO"
monthly_show_info="NO"
monthly_show_badconfig="NO"

# Include security jobs with daily email. No need to send second email.
daily_status_security_inline="NO"
security_show_success="NO"

# Don't need to know about denied packets every day
daily_status_security_ipfdenied_enable="NO"

### Now, enable services which you DO want to be aware of
# Check host for old ports
daily_status_security_portaudit_enable="YES"

# Perform ZFS filesystem checks
daily_status_zfs_enable="YES"

daily_status_security_ipfwdenied_enable="NO"
daily_status_security_ipfwlimit_enable="NO"
security_show_success=“NO”

You can also put in security_status_loginfail_enable=“NO” if you don’t want to see failed sshd logins.

To remove some message that you always get to your dmesg and don’t want to see in your mail you can edit /etc/periodic/security/700.kernelmsg line 49 to look something like:
        dmesg 2>/dev/null | egrep -v 'arp: unknown hardware address format’ |

This thing will remove "arp: unknown hardware address format” messages from the daily mail, as an example.

This has resolved most of my too much mail problems.

Regards,
Markus