delete button in console

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Dec 29 17:07:55 UTC 2015

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 01:48:49 -0800, Sergei G wrote:
> When I ssh to a FreeBSD machine and press 'Delete' button in csh prompt
> I get character '~' printed on screen.  Backspace works just fine.
>
> I think even an actual console behaves the same way.
>
> Is there a way to "map" the Delete button to work appropriately? Would
> it be my SSH client application or FreeBSD itself?

This is a thing that can be configured for the shell. I assume
you're using FreeBSD's default dialog shell, the C shell. In
this case, add to ~/.cshrc:

	bindkey ^? delete-char		# for console
	bindkey ^[[3~ delete-char	# for xterm

Or to /etc/csh.cshrc, if you want to make it a global setting.

You can check the success with the "stty -a" command.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany