VirtualBox paravirtualisation for FreeBSD guest?

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Tue Dec 29 12:58:31 UTC 2015

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 13:21:17 +0300
Anton Sayetsky <vsasjason at gmail.com> wrote:

> 29 дек. 2015 г. 12:11 пользователь "Ben Lavery"
> <ben.lavery at hashbang0.com> написал:
> >
> >  In VirtualBox 5, going into the settings for a VM then into the
> > System >
> Acceleration tabs, there is a drop down menu with the following
> options for “Paravirtualization Interface”:
> > - None
> > - Legacy
> > - Minimal
> > - Hyper-V
> > - KVM
> >
> > It is this setting that I am wondering what to set to.
> If you don't know exactly what you're doing, just leave this setting
> as default - VM will be more stable.

As per user manual:

• --paravirtprovider none|default|legacy|minimal|hyperv|kvm: This
setting speci- fies which paravirtualization interface to provide to
the guest operating system. Specifying none explicitly turns off
exposing any paravirtualization interface. The option default, will
pick an appropriate interface depending on the guest OS type while
starting the VM. This is the default option chosen while creating new
VMs. The legacy option is chosen for VMs which were created with older
VirtualBox versions and will pick a paravirtualization interface while
starting the VM with VirtualBox 5.0 and newer. The minimal provider is
mandatory for Mac OS X guests, while kvm and hyperv are recommended for
Linux and Windows guests respectively. These options are explained in
detail under chapter 10.4, Paravirtualization providers, page 222.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."