delete button in console

zep zgreenfelder at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 12:32:53 UTC 2015

On 12/29/2015 04:48 AM, Sergei G wrote:
> When I ssh to a FreeBSD machine and press 'Delete' button in csh
> prompt I get character '~' printed on screen.  Backspace works just fine.
>
> I think even an actual console behaves the same way.
>
> Is there a way to "map" the Delete button to work appropriately? Would
> it be my SSH client application or FreeBSD itself?

I would do it at the shell, perhaps at login via .files (profile,
bashrc, tshrc, all depends how you have things setup), from the command
line it should be:
     stty erase <your backspace/delete key>
it wouldn't be a bad idea to look through the man page.
alternatively you might be able to fix the terminal type that's being
detected (the TERM environment variable) or hard set it to something
that will work (I tend to use the vt100, it seems pretty close to
universal, xterm is also often workable) or you could change the type of
terminal on your originating machine which is difficult to guess from
this info.

--
public gpg key id: 0x5B8147CB