[toolchain] gcc5-devel question

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Wed Dec 23 11:50:17 UTC 2015

Hi William,

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> However, pkg did reinstall gcc5-devel-5.2.1.s20151124 due to changed
> options. I cd'ed to /usr/ports/lang/gcc5-devel & poked around a bit. I
> saw no files or directories dated today, the latest was dated Dec 02,
> the last time I upgraded & did a 'make install'. I did a find in
> /usr/ports & /usr/ports/lang/gcc5-devel was all there was. Did the
> compiler indeed get reinstalled ? If so, where :-) ?

the location should not have changed, nor should have any packaging
(additional files, say).

> Also, when I did a 'make showconfig', it showed graphite support ready
> to go (*yippeeee*, kudos), but no executable that I could locate on
> short notice. Do I still need to compile it up, or is there an
> executable ready to go somewhere not-so-obvious to me :-) ?

Graphite support means additional optimizations GCC can perform (if
you specify the respective options).

You need to build the lang/gcc* ports that support Graphite with the
respective option (GRAPHITE) enabled.  It is off by default, and thus
not part of packages.

> When I last compiled it up last week, I did a 'make install
> FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=1' which overwrote /usr/local/bin/gcc5 (not a huge
> issue, but still ....), how do I tell it to install the executable under
> a different name ? BTW, I am *NOT* particularly familiar w/ the 'GNU
> way', so pardon me if this is a bit noobish :-/ .... TIA & have a good
> one.

I am not aware of the FreeBSD packaging system supporting the renaming
of individual files within a package.  You could try to install into a
different location and then tweak things there, I guess.

Gerald