HP server gen 9 support

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 21 10:27:50 UTC 2015

On 12/20/15 23:54, Ido Uziel wrote:
> But I think you misunderstood me. I have HP DL 360 Gen 9 server with
> HP smart array p440 controller, it’s the common one of HP gen 9
> server. I also have HP smart array p840, HP smart array p240 but none
> of them is not on your list. So what is your solution for customer
> with HP server like me?

The HP RAID device, like any similar device badged by a big computer
manufacturer will be an off the shelf controller produced by one or
other of the companies that basically specialize in producing RAID
controllers.  I don't know about the HP p840, p440 or p480 specifically,
but -- for instance -- the Dell H730 raid controller is a rebadged AVAGO
Invader SAS Controller, and it works with the mrsas(4) driver on
FreeBSD.  Sometimes the rebadged versions have modified firmware and may
need a modified FreeBSD driver, but usually they just work with the
standard FreeBSD driver.

If you look at the mrsas(4) man page, you'll see references to generic
controllers under the 'LSI' label -- which is what the company now known
as Avago used to be called -- and some of the Dell controllers listed by
name.  However, as you can see, it's not necessarily an exhaustive list
of the supported controllers.  (I believe it only lists the controllers
that have been tested and seen to work well with that driver by the
developers.)

Your best bet here is to create yourself a bootable USB mem-stick or a
DVD or whatever your hardware needs and try booting the server from it.
 Ideally the OS will recognise the RAID controller and let you see the
hardware, and you can pull out the actual driver from 'pciconf -lv' or
by reading /var/run/dmesg.boot

If nothing is recognised, try pasting the 'pciconf -lv' output for the
RAID controller into a message on the freebsd-stable list, and ideally
someone should be able to tell you if there's any hope of getting
FreeBSD to work with that controller.  Most hardware for big name
suppliers like HP or IBM or Dell should work with FreeBSD, but support
for the very latest hardware revisions my lag by a few months.

	Cheers,

	Matthew