Migrating from ports to pkg

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Thu Dec 17 10:24:37 UTC 2015

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 20:47:58 +0000
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org> wrote:

> 	When there are only a small number of ports with special options
> it's quite easy to just build the essential ports using make missing to get
> a list of packages to install before building each port. Just don't forget
> to pkg lock all the customised packages so they don't get replaced by
> standard ones during an upgrade.

This normally works well for me but be aware that if your ports tree
isn't in sync with the package repository you can run into dependency
problems,

I use the sync-ports script from
https://gist.github.com/xzhavilla/61dedc55c33cb32c1546 though it needs
a little hacking to work on 10.2. The ideal solution would be if there
were an option within pkg to update /usr/ports to sync it with the
version used for building the current repository or even to just supply
the revision number of the ports tree.

--
Mike Clarke