freebsd-update, ZFS, and ver 8.2

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 15 13:48:49 UTC 2015

On 12/15/15 12:40, krad wrote:
> I'm not aware of any feature flags that are needed to make boot
> environments work, but I may be wrong, but remember BE's were in solaris
> using pool versions from around version6, and certainly be v28 which is
> what was originally imported to freebsd before openzfs forked.

There's nothing special required to make boot environments work --
they've been part of ZFS pretty much since before it was ported to
FreeBSD.  However, the gptzfsboot boot blocks will not allow you to boot
up a ZFS pool of higher version than they were compiled for or
containing various enabled features they don't know about.  So it's
necessary to rewrite them with an up to date copy using the updated
samples in /boot/gptzfsboot if you update your zpool.  This is
independent of whether you're using boot environments or not.

Oh, and being able to use lz4 compression is a very good reason why
you'ld want to do that upgrade.  lz4 is why new installs can default to
turning compression on everywhere by default.  It's fast enough, and it
can work out it's not going to be able to compress some disk blocks
quickly enough (and so just write those disk blocks uncompressed) that
it is generally a win in almost all situations.

	Cheers,

	Matthew