freebsd-update editor choice

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Dec 15 09:57:13 UTC 2015

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 20:16:33 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Sunday, December 13, 2015 a las 08:42:30PM +0200, Anton Sayetsky escribió:
>
> > 13 дек. 2015 г. 20:39 пользователь "Gene" <fbsd at brightstar.bomgardner.net>
> > написал:
> > >

> > > Hi -
> > >
> > > I'm using freebsd-update to update my 10.1 system to 10.2. When merging
> > files,
> > > it insists on using the 'vi' editor. I really, really, REALLY, despise
> > vi. Is
> > > there a way to get it to use another editor?
> > I hope that you don't want to use some editor for noobs, like ee. Solution
> > to your problem is setting EDITOR environment variable.
>
> What about 'ed'?

Keep in mind: "'ed' is the standard text editor", so standards must
be good for something. :-)

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?EdIsTheStandardTextEditor

> Or even better:
>
> //IEBUPDTE EXEC PGM=IEBUPDTE,PARM=NEW
> //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=A
> //SYSUT2 DD DISP=(NEW,CATLG),DSN=KC03H11.NEW22.PDS,
> // SPACE=(CYL,(5,5,5),RLSE),
> // RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=0
> //SYSIN DD *
> Hello World
> /*
> //
>
> (I was used to it in the 80' of the last century)

What, no JOB card? Is this a system for umemployed operators?
Switch on your EC7920 terminal, log on (!) to your TSO account,
and then start ISPD/PDS. Expect SYSABEND or FEIERABEND soon. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany