Looking for AMD APU based laptop with good FreeBSD support

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Sat Dec 12 14:44:57 UTC 2015

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 09:30:38AM -0500, Michael B. Eichorn wrote:
> Well, HP is one of the worst offenders with device whitelisting,
> swapping out wifi on them is rarely worth the trouble.

Yeah I know; not so long ago it was possible to outwit their whitelisting
without patching the BIOS code [1] but apparently it got worse from what
I've heard. :-(

> Also Haswell graphics is close, really close, I have been running the
> git branch for a while now and things are almost there.
>
> And finally, for what it is worth, Kris Moore of PCBSD has mentioned
> that he has been able to run Haswell and Broadwell with the VESA driver
> while waiting.

VESA is fine if all you need is plain X11 and xterm.  I'd like to have
decent OpenGL performance though, given that AMD's still ahead of Intel
in this field.

> Just more data points, I am not saying your choices are bad or wrong,
> just more data.

Understood, thanks for replying.

./danfe

[1] http://milksnot.com/content/project-dirty-laundry-how-defeat-whitelisting-without-bios-modding