CARP demotion counter

Terje Elde terje at elde.net
Thu Dec 10 19:28:09 UTC 2015

> On 10 Dec 2015, at 20:00, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> wrote:
>
> You need net.inet.carp.preempt=1 for MASTER returning to MASTER after a BACKUP state.

If all things are otherwise equal, I've come to favor having redundant equipment not be designated master/slave, but rather "router 1" and "router 2" etc, where possible.

It reduced "oh, the other is just backup"-impulses, promotes caring equally for either box, and reduces the idea of failover and fallback being separate things.

Also removes "we need to fail back to the master" as a thing to do after a failover, while the equality makes it easier to do changes as a matter of routine.

Terje