CARP demotion counter

Julien Cigar jcigar at ulb.ac.be
Thu Dec 10 18:28:34 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm busy to setup a redundant router/firewall with two Soekris 6501, PF,
CARP and PFSync.

I wondered if it was normal that the CARP demotion counter
(net.inet.carp.demotion) is greater than 0 at boot?

I'm asking this because it seems that the MASTER never returns from a
BACKUP state, and it seems that's because the demotion counter is
greater than 0 on both boxes (480) ..

Any idea .. ?

Thanks,
Julien