Please erase all the messages that I posted in mailing lists of FreeBSD!

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 14:57:07 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 4:39 PM, <kpneal at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:04:17PM -0200, françai s wrote:
> > Please erase all the messages that I posted in mailing lists of FreeBSD.
>
> That's really not how it works. Once something is posted to the 'net
> you will never, ever stop it.
>
> There are plenty of places that archive these lists that are not associated
> with The FreeBSD Project. It's basically impossible to do what you are
> asking.
>
> > I used differents nicks, for example, Jorge Luis Carvalho Santos,
> français,
> > waretrue...
> >
> > I ask this because I probably be in future a good programmer famous and I
> > do not want to talk about the topics that I should not have posted in
> > freebsd-questions, freebsd-hackers, freebsd-doc, freebsd-drives...
> >
> > I decided prevent substantial harm to important relationships that
> probably
> > I will have in future with other developers.
>
> With so many people growing up publically on the 'net I expect (ok, I hope)
> that norms will change such that what people did years ago will not matter.
> Everyone changes over time, and everyone will need to accept that the way
> they looked and acted, say, ten years ago has only marginal bearing on the
> way the look and act today.

True, but there is perhaps a legal issue? (IANAL)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_be_forgotten

I work in the world of bikini models, and it happens quite often that even
though a girl will sign a legal contract for distribution, some years later
decide they want to become a kindergarten teacher, or politician, as
example, and demand all their images deleted. Although it's likely they
would not have any legal option to impose deletion, it's generally not
worth the fight - the images are years old anyhow and not used to sell
product. So we comply with the request, just to be nice. I take the stance
that images appearing on other sites outside of my control are a "NMP" (not
my problem) kind of issue, they'll have to contact Google, etc on their own.

Waitman Gobble
Los Altos California USA
650-900-8557