release schedule , nines and tens

Michael B. Eichorn ike at michaeleichorn.com
Mon Dec 7 13:37:34 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-12-06 at 23:23 +0000, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 12/06/15 18:11, spellberg_robert wrote:
> > howdy , folks ---
> >
> > i see that the release schedules for 10.3 and 11.0
> >   are available much earlier than usual [ start of beta ] .
> > this is nice .
> > it permits me [ and others ] to plan_ahead ,
> >   to the extent of the published information .
> >
> > i remembered seeing a notice , a_while back , that
> >   the releases would be changed , beginning with the elevens .
> > i went back , earlier today , to re_read this notice ,
> >   so that i would have its content fresh in my mind ,
> >   before i posed the following questions
> >   [ see -announce , 2015_feb_03_tue , from mr. seaman ] .
> > as i write this , i have it displayed on another screen .
> >
> > now , i can read_between_the_lines as well as anybody
> >   [ the support page , with the releases and their eol_dates ,
> >       is very helpful for guessing ;
> >       i have that displayed , also , on that other screen
> >   ] .
> > however , i do not like to make assumptions .
> > therefore , given that change is approaching
> >   [ and is , now , ten months closer , relative to the notice ] ,
> >   i come straight_out and ask :
> >

> > a]  does anyone know if decisions have been made regarding :
> >
> >       0]  is  9.3 to be the last of the nines or
> >             is there a plan to release a  9.4 ?
> >
> >       1]  is 10.3 to be the last of the  tens or
> >             is there a plan to release a 10.4 ?
> >
> > b]  if  so , what are those decisions ?
> >
> > c]  if not , is there a known or an estimated date for
> >       the making of the above_described decisions ?
> >

> > fwiw , i like to use the highest minor_number ,
> >   because the dot_zero bugs have been found and fixed .
> > i got a lot of mileage out of 4.11 and 6.4
> >   [ for me , they played like champs ;
> >       in fact , the only reason for the retiring of 6.4 was
> >       the acquisition of 64_bit hardware
> >   ] .
> > i never installed a 5 , because of all of the release_controversy .
> > a 7.4 was replaced quickly [ acroread would not install ] by 8.4 .
> > i am currently running 8.1 , 8.4 , 9.3 and 10.2
> >   [ 10.2 was an emergency install that , probably ,
> >       will not survive the release of 10.3
> >   ] .
> > the 8.1 should be replaced [ but , it just keeps working ] .
> > the 8.4 is three years newer ; it can wait until the summer .
> > i want to settle on the nines and tens
> >   while i watch the elevens and the new policy shake_out .
> >
> > thanks , in advance , for any information .
> >
> > rob
>

> $0.02 from the cheap seats: I'd love to see a 9.4, maybe 9.5, w/
> docker
> & 64-bit emulation working AOK .... Oc course I might get stuck there
> ;-) ....

At the moment: https://www.freebsd.org/releng/

Shows only plans for 10.3 and 11.0. And if we were going to see a 9.4 I
would expect the planning to already be done.

And: https://www.freebsd.org/security/

States that the Expected EOL for stable/9, releng/9.3, and releng/10.2
as 2016-12-31. While stable/10 does not yet have an Expected EOL. (10.3
and 11.0 are not yet listed).

My impression is that in principle they would have liked to do a 9.4
but are unwilling to extend the life of the 9 branch. That is the
*point* of the new/proposed 11 branch support lifetime, they want to be
able to to late-life and wrap-up/final releases without extending the
branch lifetime.