openssl: verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate

Oliver Schonrock oliver at schonrocks.com
Fri Dec 4 05:16:18 UTC 2015

On 29/11/15 16:41, Oliver Schonrock wrote:
> 2. there is something wrong with the openssl installation on that
> 10.1 machine.

I have spent nearly a week trying to get to the bottom of this. In the
end I installed a clean version of FreeBSD 10.1 to a virtual machine and
tested that. Result: exactly the same as my production FreeBSD 10.1
machine. ie openssl refuses to verify that cert, no matter what CAfile
and CApath setting I pass to it.

So, rather than fight the tide, I swam with it and upgraded my
production machine from 10.1 to 10.2 => problem solved.

For anyone reading this: openssl certificate chain verification in
FreeBSD 10.1 seems to be "broken"..certainly is for me.

10.2 works perfectly.