Stop using a SATA drive

Quartz quartz at sneakertech.com
Mon Aug 31 13:32:16 UTC 2015

> The remaining question is: Is it technically valid to
> remove a device special file from the devfs file system
> corresponding to a device that currently is not in use
> (anymore), but is _present_ (attached to the system in
> some way)?

I keep using OSX as a point of reference, but the way they do it is that
once the drive has been "ejected", it's effectively not present anymore.
Their mental model is that a drive can be physically attached without
being 'connected' software-wise, just that the process of establishing
that connection when a device is plugged in has been automated.

Personally I've never had a problem with this mental model. Many
different things can be physically plugged into a computer without
actually functioning (ie; network cable) so I don't see why drives
should have special rules. Any anyway, when I eject a drive it's because
I'm about to physically remove it.