[(borderline) OT]: memtest question

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Mon Aug 31 01:37:01 UTC 2015

I downloaded Passmark memtest v6.0.0 some weeks ago & dd'ed it to a USB
stick & used it to memtest a box I was then building, AMD 4256EE Opteron
based server. Everything went AOK (IIRC) & the box is now in service. I
am doing another one now (AMD A8 6500 CPU based) & the memtest seems to
be stuck. I downloaded memtest86+ lastest from their site (5.0.1) & want
to make another USB memtest stick out of it. I wound up going to the
Passmark version back when because I could never get a bootable USB
stick configured from this box (FreeBSD 9.3R-p24 now, ~p9 back then). I
wound up using Passmark's disk image, dd-ing it to a USB stick under
Linux, & all went well. The file I downloaded is called
'memtest86+-5.01.bin.gz' & file says it is just a compressed '.bin' file:

[wam at kabini1, ~, 8:37:47pm] 407 % file Downloads/memtest86+/*
Downloads/memtest86+/memtest86+-5.01.bin.gz:            gzip compressed
data, was "memtest86+-5.01.bin", last modified: Sat Aug 10 07:42:35
2013, from Unix
Downloads/memtest86+/memtest86+-5.01.usb.installer.zip: Zip archive
data, at least v2.0 to extract
[wam at kabini1, ~, 8:37:54pm] 407 %

I downloaded that installer hoping it would do the trick, but it is a
'.exe' file, & I have no winders boxen on my LAN just now. How do I make
a bootable USB stick from that memtest86+-5.01.bin file ? TIA & have a
good one.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III