disabling dhclient

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 30 07:16:37 UTC 2015

Perry Hutchison wrote;

> Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Perry Hutchison <perryh at pluto.rain.com>
> > wrote:
> > > These are the settings in /etc/rc.conf:
> >
> > > ifconfig_xl0="192.168.0.81 netmask 255.255.0.0"
> > > defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
> > > nfs_server_enable="YES"
> > > check_quotas="NO"
> > > rpcbind_enable="YES"
> > > nfs_client_enable="YES"
> > > sshd_enable="YES"
> > > inetd_enable="YES"
> > > kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
> > > linux_enable="YES"
> > > moused_enable="NO"
> > > moused_type="NO"
> > > sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
> > > sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
> > > sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
> > > lpd_enable="YES"
> >
> > Is that the complete file?

> Apart from comments and the hostname setting, yes.

> (Keep in mind that /etc/defaults/rc.conf is loaded first, so
> /etc/rc.conf only needs to contain changes from the defaults.
> I figured there was no need to clutter the list with a dump
> of ~700 lines of default settings, since they're unchanged from
> the original distribution.)

> > > and is there an /etc/rc.local or /usr/local/etc/rc.local?

> No.

I don't have ifconfig in /etc/rc.conf, dhclient never runs automatically on my system.  This is true for both FreeBSD and NetBSD.

I run dhclient on the command line.

There is a line in /etc/defaults/rc.conf

dhclient_program="/sbin/dhclient"       # Path to dhcp client program.

Setting dhclient_program="/usr/bin/true" in /etc/rc.conf would avoid the need to hack dhclient itself; I don't know if this would prevent dhclient from working from the command line.

Tom