Replacing Drive with SSD

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Fri Aug 28 07:29:32 UTC 2015

I am having to replace a drive with a SSD.  Normally if I were replacing it with another drive, I would hook up the new drive to the computer and just use dd to copy everything (system would be quiescent).  Can I do the same with a SSD or does it need to be setup differently?  This is a boot drive (i.e., the only drive in the system).  The system is currently working fine, but the drive temp is starting to go up so I want to replace it before anything bad happens.