Stop using a SATA drive

Quartz quartz at sneakertech.com
Thu Aug 27 11:52:49 UTC 2015

>I also shutdown smartd before pulling the drive, and
> start smartd afterwards.

I'm not sure if shutting down smartd really matters unless the drive is
actively running a test or something.

> I didn't know that the heads were parked when the power is cut... but
> that is a relief to hear.

Modern drives (where "modern" means anything made in the past 10 years I
think) are set up in such a way that the inertia of the spinning
platters will 'throw' the heads onto the parking area if power suddenly
dies. This is not the same thing as intentionally issuing a park-head
command, but the results are more or less the same.