Stop using a SATA drive

Quartz quartz at sneakertech.com
Thu Aug 27 11:45:53 UTC 2015

I have a related question to this.

On OSX, you can access the Disk Utility app from the terminal via the
'diskutil' command. This provides a more or less one-stop-shop for all
disk related activities, eg; you can issue 'diskutil list' to get a list
of all known disk devices and their ID and partitions, you can 'diskutil
unmount foo' to stop all writes on disk foo, and then 'diskutil eject
foo' to completely disconnect it from the system so it no longer shows
up in /dev (using dd to read or write to the drive will fail with "No
such file or directory").

I believe Chris was looking for an equivalent command (or equivalent to
'diskutil eject foo' at any rate). OSX was based on FreeBSD originally,
so the underlying concept should be possible. Is there no port or
package that can provide this functionality?