How to minimize the number of writes to CF card?

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Tue Aug 25 16:02:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 3:13 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2015/08/25 10:58, zhup wrote:
>
> > I am going to install Freebsd on CF card and my question is:
> > how to minimize the number of writes to CF card?
>
> Mount it read-only?

I could have offered that advice without being facetious, Matthew. ;-)

If you have adequate RAM and can mount a mfs for /var, symlink
/tmp->/var/tmp, that works. I have some rc scripts that periodically mount
a partition r/w and save the state of things in /var that I want to
persist.

And if you can't mount it read-only, mount it rw,noatime. Updating access
time causes many, many writes.

- M