How to minimize the number of writes to CF card?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 25 11:47:04 UTC 2015

On 2015/08/25 12:38, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 2015/08/25 12:02, zhup wrote:
>> My proposal of solution with "noatime" and "softdep" flag:
>>
>> # vi /etc/fstab
>> /dev/sd0a / ffs rw,noatime,softdep 1 1
>>
>> What to you think about it?
>
> 'softdep' is not something FreeBSD understands. (I think it's an
> OpenBSD-ism)

To clarify: it's not something that FreeBSD understands in fstab(5).
You can use tunefs to enable / disable soft updates on a filesystem:

    tunefs -n enable /dev/sd0a

(unmount the FS first)

However, I don't think softupdates has much effect on the /number/ or
writes made to the filesystem.  It's all about re-ordering writes to
ensure metadata consistency.

	Cheers,

	Matthew