Strange SFTP and PAM failure

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 25 06:39:36 UTC 2015

On 25/08/2015 00:47, Jaime Kikpole wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Matthew Seaman <matthew at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Do you know what JDK is being used?
>
> Thanks for the reply, Matt.  Sadly, the PowerSchool service is run on
> a server that I don't have access to.  I have no way of knowing which
> JDK, so I'll have to ask their phone support.
>
> I don't know much about Java.  Is the JDK something used to compile
> the code or something that is installed (and upgraded) on the server
> running the code?

JDK stands for 'Java Development Kit', which is effectively an
installation of Java with all the optional bits you need in order to
write and then run programs in Java.  Think of it as a /full install/ of
Java.  In contrast to the JRE 'Java Runtime Environment' which is just
the core stuff you need to run Java applications.

However all I was really asking was what version of Java was being used.
 The distinction between JRE and JDK is an irrelevant distraction.

	Cheers,

	Matthew