running a graphical application over ssh - where is rendering done?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bris.ac.uk
Thu Aug 20 09:07:22 UTC 2015

If I conect from my laptop to a server via ssh -XY,
and then launch a 3D graphical application on the server,
and view the results back on my laptop, which side
is doing the rendering?

I naively assumed that rendering is done where the graphical
program is running, i.e. on the remote server, and what is
sent over the network is just a screen at a time.
If that were true, then the graphical hardware on my laptop
should not matter. However, I now realise that a lot depend
on the laptop graphical hard/software, e.g. mesa.

So does the graphical application send the data over the
network back to my laptop, where I render it using the local resources?

Is there any control over where the rendering is actually done?

Thanks

Anton