unbound setup questions

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 17:27:12 UTC 2015

Damien Fleuriot wrote:

> On 19 August 2015 at 01:59, Michael Powell <nightrecon at hotmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

>> I just began looking at replacing Bind since after last portupgrade to
>> the latest and greatest broke the named chroot environment which has
>> served me well for so long. Waiting to see if it is going to be fixed, or
>> if bind is going to be ignored from now on. Hedging my bets with a plan
>> B.
>>
>> The unbound that ships with the OS is really only designed to be a
>> resolver for the local machine, at least as far as I know at this point
>> in my meager research. If you need services more like you may have been
>> accustomed to with Bind you may wish to take a look at the unbound in the
>> ports tree: /usr/ports/dns/unound. Didn't know about this one until some
>> wise chap on irc hit me with the clue bat.

[snip]

> I have to disagree here.
>
> Been using local_unbound as a forwarding resolver for client hosts and it
> works just fine.
[snip]

I suspected such is the case but did not take enough time to figure it out
when I did a fresh test install when 10.0-Release came out. I was in a time
crunch and just slapped bind99 on from ports, put all my old configs back
and moved on.

Thanks for showing how it's done, it's certainly beneficial. I've filed it
away for future reference. I'm only in a preliminary stage of thinking about
replacing bind99 with unbound. Need to learn more. Thanks!

-Mike