X230 Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 not working

Michael B. Eichorn ike at michaeleichorn.com
Wed Aug 19 16:37:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-08-19 at 14:41 +0100, Toby Slight wrote:
> Forgot to cc the lists on the last response - doh!
>
> On 19 August 2015 at 14:25, Lars Engels <lars.engels at 0x20.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 02:12:30PM +0100, Toby Slight wrote:

> > > Cool - cheers for the response Lars :-) I just fired up the
> > > -CURRENT
> > > installer and was able to configure my wifi - fantastic. Guess I'm
> > > going
> > > be running FreeBSD -CURRENT for a while then.... I must say it was
> > > nice
> > > that the the vt driver was enabled by default :-)
> >
> > Perfect! :-) Suspend / Resume should also work. I can show you my
> > loader.conf / rc.conf settings to get things going, if you like.
> >

> That would be amazing and much appreciated :-) Finding it quite a jump
> from
> OpenBSD and Linux - got A LOT to learn! Of particular interest would be
> whether or not you still have to add to Intel KMS flags to loader.conf
> and
> what else needs to be added to get Xorg to work nice and reliablely...
> Does
> TTY to X switching work now? I remember a few years ago I could get X
> running on FreeBSD, but if I switched to a TTY, that was the end of me
> being able to use my laptop screen!
>

> > > How often do you tend to update on current? And I take it a full
> > recompile
> > > is necessary? No freebsd-update from what I remember reading on the
> > > bsdnow.tv site? Is there no way to go from one snapshot to another
> > without
> > > either recompiling or nuking and paving, like there is on OpenBSD
> > -current?
> >
> > I update kernel and world on an irregular basis. Something between 3
> > days and 3 weeks. My X230 has the Core i7 CPU and 16 GB RAM, so
> > building
> > both takes 1,5 to 2 hours. Then I run etcupdate(8), so merging the
> > config files is mostly painless. (Be sure to run etcupdate before the
> > first upgrade, so it can use your running config.
> > freebsd-update only works on RELEASES, and can be slower than
> > building
> > from source anyways.
> >

> Cool - cheers for the tips. I dare say my builds will be a fair bit
> slower
> as my machine only has an i3 and 6GB RAM... Is freebsd-update ever
> likely
> to be made to work with the current and stable branches? Or maybe
> something
> like the OpenBSD -current update mechanism?
From what I hear freebsd-update probably will not implement this, however
there is a possibility that some option might develop as a result of
packaging base, which is currently an active project. For more info
checkout the presentation @bapt gave at BSDCan 2015 [1] and the interview
he gave on the BSDNow Podcast [2].

[1] Presentation (44 min): https://youtu.be/Br6izhH5P1I
    Q&A (14 min): https://youtu.be/v7px6ktoDAI