Binary upgrade from 8.4 to 10.1

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Tue Aug 18 21:33:50 UTC 2015

I just upgraded one of our servers from 8.4-RELEASE to 10.2-RELEASE and had
very few problems - none with the actual upgrade.  I followed the
instructions in the Handbook, as John suggested, and the upgrade went
smoothly.

I must admit, I was holding my breath.  I've always sat at the console and
upgraded the old way (make installkernel, etc.), so this was my first time
upgrading using freebsd-update.  (I did do an upgrade from 10.1-Beta to
10.2-RELEASE yesterday, but this is the first time jumping major versions.)

Kudos to Colin for a wonderful tool that makes life much easier.

--On August 3, 2015 at 4:39:57 PM -0500 Paul Schmehl